Who dat Kneeling?


I am an NFL girl, love my New Orleans Saints and still do. Who dat!


This past weekend, what I saw was painfully shocking to me. I was offended, hurt, and my first reaction was to complain…

“How dare 14 Saints disrespect the flag and anthem!”

After a few minutes, I examined my response. My goal in life is to not be offended in anything, like Christ, who was perfect… but I am not. 


So, it took a few minutes to reboot the system.

Then I did what millions of Americans did…I went to social media. Yikes!

I posted a sad picture of my dog, wearing his Saints jersey and expressed his sadness and disappointment in the actions of our beloved team.
Cody, the Cava-poo is sad about the kneel thing.



But, I knew the hell storm that would be coming. Especially from all my Southern friends and family, this was not gonna sit well. The reactions were heated, strong and angry.

Don’t mess with Mamma, the flag or God!



I tried to gear my thoughts to “What would Jesus Do?” Rage at people that disagree with me? Spit out foul insults at the football players? Point out the injustices perceived? Burn my favorite jersey and history of being a fan?

Something did not sit right in my soul.

Yes, this was disrespect. I disagree with the method they chose. I also disagree with treating others unkindly for any reason. Love God, Love people.

When Kapernick did his kneeling, I was outspoken. I did not feel his way was the best way to solve issues and I didn’t find him genuine. His motives seem blurred lines to me. The result of his stand didn’t do anything but cause more anger and more divisiveness.

One wrong doesn’t make a right, but two responding wrongs make a really big mess!


It’s as if no one wants to solve the true issue, to discuss it, work together for good, they would rather poke those who disagree with them.

“A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.” Prov 15:1


To understand someone, you must listen to their side and why they are protesting. Are they fighting injustices? What are they really trying to say?

Jackie Robinson had a valid reason in my opinion to protest. He was not treated equally in the actual playing of his sport. He said, “I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag; I know that I am a black man in a white world."

That was a long time ago. We may still have problems, but we have come a very long way. He paved the way for many professional athletes. Can we compare the path led by Robinson and Kapernick?

So, I do not disagree with the why they are protesting…I feel strongly in the how.

Martin Luther King was peaceful, but respectful and his way was honorable. Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowboys, got it right this time by protesting in unity and respecting the sacred anthem.

We put value on symbols not because of the literal form or shape, but for the things they represent. I know if someone burns the Holy Bible, they have shown their hatred towards God and if I were to make a cartoon of Mohamed, some religions would mark me for dead because of my disrespect.

However, as a follower of Christ, these negative actions will not allow me to feel hatred towards that person. If Jesus said to “Love thy neighbor” he meant to love them even when you disagree, when they are different looking, or even when they do evil to you…or disrespect that which you hold sacred.

My husband and I disagree on subjects but we don’t boycott each other! Or do we?

The anthem and flag honoring is just a tradition from the 30’s baseball games. It is not hallowed except in what it represents. It isn’t unusual to see many game attendees not paying attention or revering the patriotic moment before our sports. Plenty of them talk, drink, and ignore the event.

Yet, the NFL players intentionally and premeditated kneeled to make a point. Because of our great military, they have every right to and we who are unhappy have every right to pull our support. Hence a boycott was born.

On the record, I love the NFL.

My question is why did all those NFL players kneel? What motivated them?

Was it for Black Lives Matter? For injustices done to them or loved ones? For Bad Cops? Or was it to stick it to the President of the United States?

Their drive for protest makes it a bit harder to swallow. They were not doing it out of social justice, to represent the downtrodden, but to push back.

Did anyone solve the problem? Did it help? Did anyone including Trump take any high roads?

I disagree with their decision, but I will not respond with hate, ugliness, name-calling. I will still watch NFL and be a Saints fan.

However, the joy of  football has been brought down by its downward political path. Can’t we just play ball?

In 1 Peter 2, Peter writes that we are to show honor and respect to whoever is in authority…even if you can’t stand him. Trump has those that love him and those that really do not like him. But, he has done this…but he said that…etc!! Well, Peter had Nero as his President and burned Christians for a recreational sport so no excuses.

Christians should honor and respect those in charge…but you can still disagree.

1 Peter :13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, 14 or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. 15 For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people. 16 Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves. 17 Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.



Why do I honor the anthem and flag?
I love my country, although it is not perfect, nor is everything great.
I am showing respect to the military.
I am expressing unity with others around me doing the same.
It is a tradition.
It is the right thing to do.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HARDWICKS ARMY