Growing old: I stop - I drop


I stop…I drop

Age isn’t a number…


It’s a force, driving me to deteriorate daily, mentally and physically….

It is however, a privilege.


How will I choose to live my twilight years? 

Can I overcome the temptation to slow it down? To embrace the rocking chair mentality….to pronounce myself too old for such….

Never.

Even as I write this I am in pain.

I cannot give up pushing myself to hike trails, go on adventures, and mild as they may be to some, I am doing it how I want to. I am and have never been a thrill seeker. My mountain hike is about the journey, the freedom from concrete, and the view.


Roan Highlands, The Balds

2017 Yosemite
Obstacles: I injured my hip 4 years ago trying to show off to my twin boys on a bicycle ride…

Flashforward, two years ago, I decide to see what damage I did and fix the thing. An MRI revealed arthritis, no fixing.

My pain now comes from a re-injury to the area.

Instead of allowing the slower pace of healing my older body now provides, I hiked a moderately difficult stretch on the Appalachian trail and now I can hardly hike to the restroom.

Am I discouraged? Temporarily.
There is hope.

First, because I am stubborn.

Secondly, while crossing the tops of the high peaks of  the Roan Highlands of Tennessee and North Carolina I discovered hope. This was in the form of men and women, much older than I, hiking.

One 80-year-old was all by herself with nothing but a backpack and a hiking stick.
Last Year Elkmont TN

So, I maybe I am down for a moment, but I will be back up.

Yet, I watch as those my age stop.
They settle. They slow down. They take on the role of Old.
Too many drop along the way because of numbers…saying that they are too old for such things….it is a mental choice for many.

For some, it is the hand life has given to them.

Early days with Dad
I think of my Dad, age had nothing to do with his stopping -- but disease.  Oh, how he would have loved to be hiking trails, seeing off in several directions the smoky blue mountains, green fields, wild azaleas blooming and the fresh smell of mountain air.

He never got these chances that I have been given. 

And, even though, injury, age, illness, bad conditioning, poor food choices, try their best to stop me, I will keep going.


The payoff is worth it.

The view, unbelievable.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HARDWICKS ARMY