Somewhere Between Mississippi and the Shire

 Somewhere between Mississippi and the Shire


If I could visualize an earthly heaven, it might be like the Shire from Lord of the Rings. But, to do that, I would have to move to New Zealand.

And those people talk funny over there.

Or another paradise would be to live in a mountain cabin in a Thomas Kinkade setting like his paintings.

Born in South Mississippi and presently a Huntsville, Alabama resident, I dream of living in a perfect heaven of my own imagination. I guess that is somewhere between Mississippi and the Shire!

When I visualize our Heaven on Earth, these are the choice spots I am drawn to.

But, back in my daily reality, my address has changed, but my idea of home keeps getting simpler.

For my six decades plus on this Earth, I have not settled too far away from the start spot.

The Shire is a long way off, and any paradise of mine needs a good porch. A Thomas Kinkade cabin looks amazing, but I also need a Walmart nearby.

Yes, apparently I have grown accustomed to convenience.

I grew up out in the county, in a modest wood-frame house in South Mississippi. That is what molded me into who I am. And North Alabama will be where I finish out that role.

Nothing fancy in my upbringing, but a skinny tomboy riding a school bus for 12 years and living in hot, humid heat with no air conditioning. I played with Barbie Dolls and Tonka trucks and could tackle better than any boy in 6th grade, but the coach would not let me play football.

Apparently, Girls can’t play Boys football!

The Piney woods of Mississippi didn’t offer me mountain vistas or rocks.

It did however offer love bugs twice a year and believe me, no one LOVEs them.

One thing is for sure, lovebugs, mosquitos and fire ants will not be in my Heavenly Shire or Kinkade dreamland Heaven.

So as a country girl that has landed in the city, some things are very much the same and some not so much.

I gave up hurricanes for tornadoes. I gave up amazing seafood for good BBQ.

They have wine clubs here.

Back home, we talked about if tomatoes were ripe. Here they discuss whether the wine has notes of leather and tobacco. If my drink tastes like Daddy’s work boots, I will pass.

They even have hockey here. I understand football. Hockey looks like someone put a family disagreement on ice and handed everyone a stick.

Another city thang is traffic. On Caesar Road, getting stuck in traffic meant you got behind someone’s tractor or Mr. Ode, a very old man driving an ancient green truck.

Here in the city lights, no one seems to be a native! They all moved from some other place.

It’s hard to rake up kin here.

But, no worry, I found some distant relatives.

They test rockets in Huntsville, but so did we in Mississippi…I can remember the earth moving and rumbling from the Saturn tests, or the shuttle engines.

Apparently, wherever I settle, somebody nearby is testing something that shakes the house!

Some of those rumblings come from weaponry from the arsenal blowing up something. It is like a war broke out down the road and I should be concerned.

At home, that was just my rednecks in the woods squirrel hunting.

I miss my hometown. I miss my friends and family. I do not miss trying to sleep in August with my legs stuck together.

I do not miss weeks without electricity after a major hurricane.

I didn’t have a pool but I had Boley Creek for swimming. I was not afraid of alligators back then, but now, my opinion has changed.

I miss the simpler way of life.

But, my city view has a porch, a backyard full of deer and lots and lots of rocks! The mountain rises and gives me a fortress of greenery and trees and country.

I think this city living is very close to country living and with a Publix a short walk away!

So, its close enough. It is my tiny heaven on earth.

Give me a porch, a pretty view, and people I love close by. Put Walmart about ten minutes down the road, and I believe we can cancel the move to New Zealand.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog