Blessed Are the Keyboard Warriors... Said No One Ever
First, just because you say you’re a Christian don’t
mean you are….
There are many clones out there giving the authentic
ones a bad name.
However, even a true Christian can be mess up, sin, or
act ugly or be mean on Facebook.
When I see a headline story that catches my interest,
my guilty pleasure is to head to the comments section! And oh my…what people
say behind the curtain!
That is temptation valley!
Get thee behind me Facebook!
Opinions dripped with judgment, harshness, and
condemnation.
And the saddest thing of all? Self-professing Christ
followers… attacking another Christian.
Viciously
typed words compelled to rip people to shreds in order to prove their view. To
show how knowledgeable they are. Most disturbing of all, they felt it was their
duty to prove you wrong.
It was watching Christians trying to win an
argument while losing their witness.
Blessed
are the peacemakers.
Not:
Blessed are the
last word getters.
I've watched people quote John 3:16
in one post and call someone an idiot in the next.
When did being right become more
important than being Christlike?
Why do we type things we'd never say
in the church foyer?
We compare our attack as Jesus
flipping tables.
Can we really justify rude behavior
by saying, "Well, Jesus overturned tables."
The problem is Jesus cleansed the
Temple once, but He spent the overwhelming majority of His ministry healing,
forgiving, eating with sinners, and speaking truth with compassion.
As
Christians are we better off with social media?
I
believe you can use any tool for good or for evil.
Before we hit "Post," perhaps we
should ask a couple of questions:
What would Jesus comment?
If this comment
were read aloud from the church pulpit Sunday morning, would I still want my
name attached to it?
Some Christians seem to believe the
Fruit of the Spirit now includes:
- Righteous Indignation
- Professional Offense
- Competitive Arguing
- Advanced Eye Rolling
- Black Belt Keyboard Karate
I checked ….apparently I have an
outdated Bible.
I grew
up believing if you couldn't say something nice...
...don’t say
nothing at all…DON’T COMMENT!
Correction in love is ok, but attacking with Meanness
isn’t.
Folks
get a case of the Keyboard courage. They become ten feet tall behind a
keyboard. Or like a chihuahua who thinks
they can take on a pit bull.
Some have a case of the Christian
Road Rage on Wi-Fi.
Road rage...without leaving the
recliner.
No gasoline required.
Just Wi-Fi.
Sunday morning...Keyboard warriors will seeing
I Surrender All…and FIVE minutes later…
...be arguing
over barbecue, race, football, politics, or whether someone's dog looked at them
funny.
If you find
this description might be you, if you find you can’t hold your tongue via the
keyboard when something gets under your dander, if you need to prove your side more
than representing Jesus, then maybe you have a posting problem.
Some
folks treat Facebook like it's the Department of Correcting Everybody.
They can't
enjoy breakfast until they've fixed three strangers, one pastor, and a weather
forecast.
Now if someone is using scripture wrong
or being blasphemous, you may correct in love but don’t reign down fire and
brimstone.
Don’t go to the easy, “You are not a
Christian argument” either. No one, and I mean no ONE knows the heart of any
person but Christ.
I think
the vilest behavior is the political posts! I've seen believers defend
politicians harder than they defend Scripture.
Some Christians have become disciples of
cable news with a little Jesus sprinkled on top.
Jesus over political party…no grey area.
We have
folks who haven't spoken to their next-door neighbor in six months...
...but they'll
spend three hours arguing with "PatriotGrandpa47" from Nebraska over
policy and candidates.
The
Bible’s James wrote:
"Everyone should be quick to
listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry."
Social media reversed it.
Quick to post.
Slow to think.
Instantly angry.
The
church can be seen trolling articles on:
football...
Bible
translations...
barbecue...
whether
pineapple belongs on pizza...
and I'm pretty
sure one fellow almost split a church over Miracle Whip versus mayonnaise.
Are you guilty? Are you tempted?
Then, try the Facebook Fast…
The
Instagram diet and Tik Tok Flush.
I suspect heaven has a file cabinet
labeled:
“Comments that were typed...then
wisely deleted.”
If the Holy Spirit is guiding, then
the urge to post ugly will dwindle.
Maybe
Christianity isn't measured by how loudly we defend Jesus on Facebook...
Maybe it's
measured by how often Jesus must keep us from hitting "Send."
If that's true,
I'd like to thank the Holy Spirit for saving my testimony...one deleted comment
at a time.
Then, if you find you are constantly
in troll mode on social media, being mean and snarky, and you are satisfied
with the comments you make in the war of right and wrong, then you might not be
an authentic Christian.
Perhaps
it's time for an honest heart check. Jesus changes more than where we spend
eternity—He changes how we treat people, even on social media.
Please,
feel free to comment on this column. I can take it.
James 1:26, "Those who consider
themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive
themselves, and their religion is worthless." (NIV)
Comments
Post a Comment